Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 57: Cirque and Final Practical Exam

This weekend I had the opportunity to work along side the Executive Chef responsible for all meal for the Cirque Du Soleil Quidam performers. It was an enjoyable experience working with talented people as well as having the opportunity to meet the many people it takes to put on a show like Quidam ~ from the performers to the backstage folks to the IT guy.

The crew of Cirque Du Soleil is served two meals per day by the Executive Chef and his staff. For the lunch meal my job was to grill the chicken and prepare and grill vegetables. After lunch was served, I started on the mise en place for the following day's brunch. I diced onions, sliced mushrooms, diced ham, prepared sliced bacon and breakfast sausage on baking pans.

Each lunch and dinner, the crew is offered two soups, two types of proteins, a starch and one or two vegetables. They also have access to a salad bar and a sandwich bar. Approximately 100 individuals are served at each meal.

I hope to have many more opportunities working in different establishments before I graduate. The experience is different at each and at each I learn a few good tips that I can use in the kitchen.

Today was different. It was my final practical exam in the kitchen. In preparation for service of a four course meal, we worked on our two day prep. I was able to complete most of my prep with the exception of tourne potatoes. I will have to work on these tomorrow as I will need three to complete my plate.

This morning went by quick as I did my prep on my mushroom soup ~ which I'll have ready for tomorrow by heating, adding a little more cream, tasting and seasoning if necessary and creating a garnish and then plating for scoring.

My risotto will need a little more work. Risotto is something that you do not want to prepare a day ahead. I've got my caramelized onions and bacon cooked along with a chicken stock so I'm ready to get the Arborio rice cooking for a creamy risotto when it's time to plate for scoring.

I will be needing a little more work for my main. I've got the forcemeat stuffed chicken supreme done and need only to sear on the skin side in a pan and then finish off in the oven. My ratatouille will needed to be cooked after I dice my eggplant which I didn't do today because it browns. The required tourne potatoes aren't done, so I will need to do these first thing in the morning. The last thing to do for this dish is the white sauce, which I know won't be a problem. Everything should go well as long as I don't forget about my pans on the stove.

If you want to learn how to tourne a potato, check out how in this video from Le Courdon Bleu. The tourne is seven sided and looks like a football. It's a skill that takes some practice. It also helps if you have a certain type of knife too ~ but not necessary.

The chocolate mousse dessert is done with the exception of a few garnishes. I've already got my chocolate garnish and berry couli done and may add some sugar work or other element. I won't be sure which until I get in the kitchen and see what products are available.

With my final theory exam ~ I've got to get going on studying/reading the course book. The exam is 200 questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment