Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 55: Part Two ~ Tour of Cirque Du Soleil Kitchen

Cirque Du Soleil has arrived in town. By chance Chef met the Executive Chef of the Cirque Du Soleil touring show Quidam. Chef hooked the afternoon class with a tour of the kitchen and opened up the tour to our class as well. I decided to check it out.


First off the Executive Chef was very gracious in opening up his kitchen for us to see. We are told that the team is comprised of six ~ two of which are front of the house. They serve about 140 cast members each seating ~ lunch and dinner. The Executive Chef tells us that he has never made a dish twice for Cirque Du Soleil. I think that is an amazing feat in it self.

The Executive Chef and his team work for a company that has been hired by Cirque du Soleil. His menu is reviewed by Montreal prior to each week. He allowed us to have a look at his menu for their tour in Hamilton. Duck confit was one of the dishes. His ribs are most asked for. He tells us that he makes the best ribs in three hours. Hmmm. Come to think of it, he did mention he was from Texas. Not sure, but with all that beef, he must have it in his blood to make good BBQ.

The kitchen is all portable. They even have their own kitchen sink should one not be provided. They've got everything that you could think of. Their two refrigerators hold deli and fruit. The coffee station is built into the box that it is stored in for mobility. Two grills, two ovens, about four or six hot plates and even a Robo Coup and Vitamixer. They've got a mobile pantry with all their herbs, sauces and dry goods. They have one trailer that holds all their equipment, cold food, dry food and their personal belongings (clothing, etc.). The Executive Chef was kind enough to show us all of it ~ from the kitchen, to the dinning area, to the trailer. It's amazing!

What a great opportunity and this is something that might be of interest to me in the future. I like to travel, and I'm a hard worker. I enjoy food, I enjoy making food for others. I would love to experience working on a tour like this or similar. I'd love to get the opportunity to make great food and learn while doing so. What more could I ask for? (No comments from the peanut gallery please!!)


I'm attending Cirque Du Soleil ~ Quidam in Hamilton this Friday. I look forward to all the well fed and happy performers that I'll be watching and enjoying. It should be a great show, and my first Cirque De Soleil show.

No comments:

Post a Comment