Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 51: Today is Fry Day

Today we are making seafood two ways ~ pan fried and deep fried. For those of us who have never cleaned squid (I'm one of them), Chef shows us how to clean them. Chef also shows us the difference between a female and a male squid. On the outside they look the same, however, on the inside they are different.

After cleaning our squid we slice it making rings. We're making calamari and have set up a breading station ~ flour, eggs, and panko crumbs. Squid cooks very quickly and takes no time in the fryer (hot oil in a pot) to cook. Do not walk away, because your squid will more than likely overcook and become rubbery. To go with our calamari we are making a dipping sauce. Chef shows us how to make a sweet and sour sauce that is nothing like the stuff you get at the food court. Chef's version of sweet and sour sauce if very yummy.

Our next dish today is pan fried salmon. I have pan fried my salmon with skin on. If you choose to leave the skin on you will need to make sure that it is crispy. In a hot pan with oil, the fish should be fried skin side first and then flesh side. Make sure to season the fish with salt and pepper before pan frying and then hit it with a sprinkle of salt once it's done cooking.

To accompany the fish, Chef asked us to make a salad. My salad is rather large as I didn't know the size of fish fillet that I would be working with. Rethinking this plate, I could have stacked my salad ingredients topping it with the fish. There's something about height that makes a dish look so much more appetizing... Well at least that's my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment