Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 27: Doing It Again ~ Chocolate Mousse Desert!

We are making the chocolate mousse desert in class today. We are practicing our techniques by making the Genoise cake (sponge cake) ~ which is used for the base of the desert. The chocolate mousse will be used to fill the desert. The blueberry coulis will be used in plating the desert. We will be marked on our deserts at some point in our ten weeks in the kitchen.

I made two preparations of the chocolate mousse desert ~ one with a small ring and the other with the larger ring. I took the larger one home to practice on my plating technique.

After we prepared our chocolate desert mousse for plating tomorrow Chef got us started on making a breakfast. We made a poached egg, sauteed spinach and potato ham and onion hash. The potato and ham were diced and the onion sliced. To the poaching water we added a spoon of vinegar. This helps in keeping the egg together. To finish off the dish, we sauteed spinach with garlic and butter. I plated the potato with spinach on top and on top of the spinach the soft poached egg.

I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the potato egg, spinach and poached egg I had made at school. I made it at home without the sauteed spinach. My plating didn't look as nice as what I did at school, but it still taste good.

I make a variation of the dish made at school. At home I diced potato and ham and fried them with onions. I put them in a casserole dish and added scrambled egg. I made a frittata with some of the same ingredients used at school. It was very yummy!

I passed on homework tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment