Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 17: Monday, Monday

I was so tired today. On Sunday I volunteered for a charity event held at the Scottish Rite in Hamilton. The opportunity allowed me to work with the Executive Chef and Chef de Cuisine from the Ancaster Mill Restaurant. The day started at 9:30 a.m. with the kitchen staff working on mise en place for the lunch. It was a non-stop day that included preparing three dishes ~ salad, main course and desert. It was an interesting experience to see how food production is done for large catered events. My day ended at 3:00 p.m. with weary feet and body. I had no idea how tired I could get moving constantly for five hours.

The class started off slow with us going over chapters 22 to 25 ~ Sandwiches, Hors d'Oeuvres, Breakfast Preparation and Diary and Beverages. Lots of information for a Monday and a couple exercises on menu items. These were to create two appetizers used for a catered reception. My first creation ~ Smoked Salmon with a Chive Infused Cream Cheese Crepe. My second creation ~ Fried Oyster Po-Boy Slider with Mint Infused Creme Fresh. I even thought of a third ~ Curried Cream of Pumpkin Soup Shooter.

I'm looking forward to making hors d'oeuvres. These are mini bite size creations of main courses. I love the thought of sampling rather than eating one main course. There are so many combinations of food that the ideas are endless for creating hors d'oeuvres. As a chef you may be called upon to create an amuse bouche (ah mews boosh) ~ a tiny appetizer or hors d'oeuvres, compliments of the Chef and usually in more expensive restaurants. It is an opportunity for a Chef showcase an aspect of their cooking style and talent and to welcome guests. I've had the opportunity of an amuse bouche when I've dined at Canoe ~ an upscale restaurant in Toronto.

Three more days and we are in the kitchen! We are all counting down the days with enthusiasm.
The chapters covered today will help with my business plan project in preparing the menu choices.

I've done my resume and cover letter. Homework tonight is to continue on with the busines plan project and write out recipes into our cooking bible for when we are in the kitchen. I should do some reading too, but I think this may have to wait until the weekend or the weeks that we are in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment