Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 5: Mise en Place (meez-on-plahss) ~ Advance Preparation

How much advance preparation is needed for passing my first test in cooking school. Though I did pass today's test, I know that I can do better. Who said you can't succeed with two needy teenagers at your beck and call.

With March Break I can tell you it is no small feat. Seems I am my daughter's recreation director when no friends are around to keep her busy. All I can say is "I'm sure glad she has work tomorrow afternoon/evening." I should be able to more reading and review. With respect to advanced preparation and even more success on the next test.

With my first test over, Chef started right into chapters six and seven ~ nutrition and mise en place. As a food service worker it will be my responsibility to provide food and a well-balanced menu. Part of this process includes offering foods that will attract customers. There are many ways to achieve this as I learn to plan a balanced cost effective menu.

To succeed with my menu plan, I will need to work on my advance preparation ~ mise en place. there are many steps for advanced preparation. Chef provided us with a sample of how she prepares a menu item for an off site/catering event The advance preparation details the grocery list, day before preparation and day of preparation that includes the steps for each component of the dish. The detailed steps ensure that whomever is working that day will make sure that no steps are missed. An equipment list is also provided to ensure that all items for serving at the catering event will be taken.

The mise en place chapter describes the different cutting techniques we will be learning. By cutting food products in uniform shapes and sizes it ensures for even cooking and enhances the appearance of the product. We all eat with our eyes first then with our mouths. A few years ago I took a knife skills course at the LCBO. I recognize a number of basic cuts and shapes we will be learning once we get in the kitchen. I hope to be able to show you my cutting skills when I'm finally in the kitchen - preparing and cooking. Get ready for liver and onions. Chef said that this is on our list as we should/need to know how cook liver properly.

Brines was a technique Chef talked about. We'll likely do this technique but I think I might try this one at home for Sunday dinner. Many chefs use this technique roast chicken and pork for its tenderizing and moisturizing effects. The ingredients are pretty simple - water, kosher salt, sugar, bay leaves, dried thyme, whole cloves and peppercorns. I'm missing a few ingredients - bay leaves and whole cloves. I'll pick those up at the market tomorrow.

There are a few of us who have children. Today one of the students doze off. I thought I heard him snoring. Chert noticed and threw her pen at him to wake him up. We had a good laugh. It reminded me of grade school when our teacher joked with us. The student woke up and said that he just had his head down and was listening to her and not sleeping. She's so funny... She said when people areistening they tend to be looking at her. Looks like a fun class. Chef is going to be tough but I have feeling she's going to be a lot of fun.

Tonights homework is to complete all question in the study workbook. I don't think I'll have them all done tonight... But I will try hard tomorrow to finish and catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment